Last Wednesday of the Month Tuition Sale
Today is the day! Save 10% on your next class by registering before midnight tonight. The discount is automatically applied at check-out. Included in Term 3 classes is the Longform Formats Workshop taught by Allie Trimboli. (cue oohs and aaahs)
Last Wednesday Free Class
Oh gee! Last Wednesday means it is also the Free Improv Class from 7-8PM at the DCH Theater. Amanda Austin will be leading this month's class. Tell your friends!
Intern Applications Due on Monday
If you've ever thought "huh, I'd like to learn more about this place and be involved in the community" and "wouldn't it be cool to get my class for free?" then you're in luck! You can do all these things by being a DCH Intern! Interns are a vital part of making sure things run smoothly at DCH. Learn more and apply by end of day Monday. Questions? Email Raye Maddox (email@example.com)
Texas. High School. Football. Opening Weekend!
You've seen them at the jam. You've seen their online promos. You've probably purchased a "Gamecock" t-shirt. And, now, the time has come to see them live in action! Check out DCH's newest sketch revue, Texas. High School. Football, this weekend!
· GoFundMe to help cover legal fees. Any remaining money will be used to finish out our next home
· Dallas Voice: Comedic Uprising
· D Magazine: Dallas Comedy House Fights for its Home
· Eater Dallas: Terry Black's BBQ Bites Back
· Eater Dallas: Austin Restaurant Bullies Tries to its Way Into Deep Ellum
· Dallas Observer: DCH Could be on the Verge of Closing
· Dallas Morning News: Opinion: Dallas Needs DCH
· Dallas Morning News: Commentary: Nothing Funny About Carpetbaggers
· WFAA: DCH Owner Says She Won't Be Bullied
· The Ticket: Radio Story
Where do we currently stand?
· We are still operating here.
·You may have noticed some changes, physically, to the DCH space. We’ve also made some changes to our menu. (We’ve got more ideas on heartier items in the works, please be patient with us!)
Why not leave unfavorable comments and memes on Terry Black’s BBQ?
Terry Black’s BBQ is not the new landlord, Black Market Investments is the landlord. It’s not fair to hard-working employees of Terry Black’s BBQ to leave a comment/review if you’ve never had Terry Black’s BBQ. We wouldn’t want an employee from Terry Black’s BBQ to leave a negative review for us.
What’s Going to Happen Next?
Business as usual and in this building. The May/June show schedule has been shared. Classes are posted. Corporate events are still on. No matter what, we will host these events.
Continue to be Welcoming to All
We need to continue to be a welcoming space because that’s what makes DCH so great. We do not need to be suspicious of strangers.
This content should not be made into a bit on stage or online.
(i.e. No jokes on stage/sketches/Block Party bits, etc. about this situation)
If you are looking for something to do to support DCH, here are some possible actions you can take at this time:
DCH Town Hall
You may have read a few articles online about what is going on with DCH and the new building owner. You also may have questions about the whole situation. Tomorrow at 6:30 in the theater, Amanda and one of her attorneys will be hosting a DCH town hall for performers and students to fill you in and answer any questions you may have. All are welcome to attend. Minutes will be posted on Friday from the meeting for those who cannot attend.
What Can You Do Right Now?
Amanda compiled this list of actions. Please read and see where you can plug in!
1. First and foremost, keep supporting DCH. I know you already all do, but that keeps us going and keeps the positive energy we love so much.
2. I know a lot of you are upset by what's happening. You're not alone. While it's tempting to comment negatively and say unfavorable things about my new landlord and their business and their products/services, that's not the intention. I'm asking you to take the high road. It's not fair to say things about products or places we've never experienced, and we wouldn't want them to do that to us. I know that's hard to process, but I'm asking you to take this into consideration. I understand your feelings, but doing so has the possibility of making the desired end result more difficult to accomplish. Instead, keep trying to circulate the fantastic already-published stories and Ticket segment, as well as any stories that come in the future.
3. Many of you have reached out about a fund for legal fees to which you could donate. I'm blown away by your offers, and I'll be candid when I say, we're probably going to need them. Before everyone tries to start their own, give us another day or so then we can discuss next steps.
4. For anyone who wants to talk or ask questions, you can come to a town hall this Thursday at 6:30p at the theater. We'll give you an update on the progress of the situation, as well as more actionable items.
5. There's a change.org petition making it's way around. This is another actionable item you can do now!
6. Additional thing (this is from Maggie): There's a facebook profile frame made by Rich Graham you can use to update your profile pic and show solidarity. Over 300 people have changed their profile already. All the feels. Click here.
New Menu, Free Tasting!
We are rolling out a totally new, totally tasty menu at DCH! Tonight, any student/performer ID will get you a free menu item to test it out and give us feedback. Come and eat up!
We're adding new members to Walker Teams and adding a new team to the mix! Come out and audition! Must be enrolled/completed Sketch Level 2 and submit a writing packet to David Allison (firstname.lastname@example.org) by end of day on 4/15 to be considered. The audition will take place on Saturday, 4/21 at noon in the theater.
Pipeline Takes the Month Off!
There will be no Pipeline this month. Check back in May for all the bits and giggles.
Specialty Shows this Week!
This Thursday at 8 we introduce a new show, "Characters" that feature DCH performers' character monologues. It's going to be a rip-roaring good time! And, join us this Saturday for the Family Friendly "Second Saturday Show." This month, we will host a behind the scenes tour of DCH. Doors open at 5 and the show/tour are for all ages!
Thank You For a Great Festival
Thank you to everyone who came out for the 2018 Dallas Comedy Festival. We had a blast and we hope you did, too.
Our next round of Walker Auditions are on Saturday, April 21 at noon at the DCH Theater. To qualify, you must be enrolled in Sketch Level 2+ and submit your writing packet to David Allison (email@example.com) by end of day 4/15.
Deep Ellum Arts Festival This Weekend
The Deep Ellum Arts Festival is this weekend, Friday-Sunday. This has a few significant implications on you if you plan on coming to DCH for classes and or shows:
A reminder for parking in the lot (after this Deep Ellum Arts Fest is over), is for designated spaces only. Please do not park against the building - we need to keep this clear for emergency vehicles.
Backstage at DCH
A landing page for all things Dallas Comedy House for students/performers/alums of DCH.